Monday, February 7, 2011

Spicy Turkey Barley Soup

The first time I had this soup, it wasn't made with Turkey.  It was made with lean beef, and I fell in love at first slurp.  My sister in law made it for my mother in law's birthday, and I'm pretty sure I had like, three bowls.  It was one of the first things I ate (or drank, if you will) after my procedure, and in wintertime, it's just about one of the best things I can think of to sit down to on a cold night.  Since we are slowly switching over to a healthier more holistic lifestyle, I thought I'd pick up ground turkey meat instead of ground beef.  It was a GREAT deal, so it was a financial "no duh."

I used the turkey instead of the beef tonight and let me just tell you, friends....I notice NO difference.  NONE.  NOT A BIT OF DIFFERENCE.

So, from now on, I'll be eating my spicy beef and barley soup with turkey instead!

Recipe

1 pound of ground turkey
1/2 C pearled barley
3 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1 onion finely chopped
4 C water
2 t. salt
1.5 t. pepper
1 t. hot sauce

Brown the ground turkey in a dutch oven, then drain and return to dutch oven.  Add onion, tom. sauce, and barley.  Stir in water, salt/pepper and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and leave simmering for an hour.

*This goes especially well with a hearty/oaty bread or cornbread.  YUM!

Excuse me while us two sickos go nurse ourselves back to health with some delicious soup! (also great for cleaning out the congestion! Hah!)

1 comment: