Sunday, January 30, 2011

Experimentation

A couple nights ago, I made soba noodles with grilled pork, mushrooms, green onions and sesame seeds for dinner. I had heard of soba noodles before, but never ventured out to try them. I mean, let's be honest...some things we just avoid because they intimidate us. IE: soba noodles.

Soba noodles are essentially noodles made out of buckwheat. They are a whole grain and minimally processed, which is great! This means that they are a little heartier and slightly chewier in texture. And browner. BUT, they passed the hubby taste test, and this is a very big thumbs up for the soba noodle!

Another new food venture for me this week was the boiler-fryer chicken! I feel like a whole new world of menu items has been opened up to me! Do you even know how excited I am about the endless possibilities I forsee with my boiler-fryers?! I can shred/chop/dice up a whole chicken and freeze it, casserole it, sandwich it, or just snack on the deliciously tender morsels! Not to mention...HELLO! Chicken stock! How excited am I?! A lot. :) Silly Lacy! You shouldn't have ever feared the boiler-fryer. The boiler-fryer is your friend! I can taste the chicken salad sandwiches now.

Experimenting with new methods of cooking, new ingredients, new recipes is fun! It's challenging! It breaks me out of my routine and comfort zone. I dare say a large predictor of failure in a diet is boredom. If you are bored with your food, you don't much care to eat it.

Soba noodles, you bore me not!

No comments:

Post a Comment